Our Lazure-inspired Learning Room

I have always liked the look of Lazure painted walls. A couple years ago I ordered a PDF manual called "How To Lazure Paint" but the process seemed way too difficult. Then between starting a part-time job and having another baby I never quite found the time to practice the technique.

Last year I discovered this wonderful post where these ladies really de-mystified the process and this video helped to put a visual on the process of Lazure painting. That is when I made up my mind that I would repaint the schoolroom using this technique, but the only stumbling block at the time stopping me from going through with the process was that I couldn't choose which color theme to use. I really liked how the Waldorf schools used a different color theme for each grade, but my schoolroom is composed of multiple grades, making it hard to choose just one color. Then, early one morning it hit me that I could paint our learning room multiple colors.

When I actually started the process I found it was not as easy as those people made it look, so I ended up modifying the application process greatly, which really intensified the colors and gave a different textural appearance. We were all really quite pleased with the final outcome. Each child has their favorite wall (or two), and for those of you that follow the Waldorf method would it surprise you that each child chose the color theme for their actual grade level?!

Now I usually warn folks before they see our learning room to please keep in mind that I grew up on an island that is known for it's flamboyant carnival colors and my mother is a professional artist so I have inherited a natural desire for COLOR! In other words this may not be your cup of tea, but it works great for our family.

I also want to point out that the beautiful Fall chalkboard drawing you see at the end of the slide show was actually done by our own Aravis!