Joyful Noise 2011

As you may or may not know, our family is part of Joyful Noise Homeschool Band. Joyful Noise is a band for home schooled kids. They have classes for Concert Band, Orchestra, Jazz, Guitar, Chorus, Recorder, and Marching Band. There is 4 levels in each class, beginner, intermediate, advanced, and elite. Beginner is for students who can't read music very well and who have had little to no experience with their instrument. Intermediate is for students who have played before and advanced is for students that has played for several years. Elite is for students who have played at least three years and want something harder. Elite students have to go through an audition to make it into the class. We started in fall of 2009, and have come quite far since then, in my opinion.

My brother, Pinecone #3, is no longer playing with us and is taking guitar lessons at home with my dad.

My sister has amazingly moved up to Advanced Band with her flute (go sis!) and currently has no opinion on it. Considering that most kids stay in Intermediate for a few years and that she moved up after only two years on her flute, I'd say she has got "skeel". She is currently learning the "Revenge of the Dust Bunnies", "The Invinceable Eagle", "The Royal March", "Midway March", "Majesta", "The Flight of Valor", and a bunch of songs in the Standard Book of Excellence, Book 3.

I chose to stay in Intermediate this year. I was not prepared for Chamber and I really want time to practice vibrato and shifting. I got 2nd chair in 1st violin, which is awesome for me. This year we have 2 cellos, a base, two violas, and 14 violins. This year, Mrs. Madjet has upped the difficulty and we are starting earlier on our concert books. She is requiring that those of us who are 2nd year Intermediate students use the shifting and our 4th fingers. As of now, I am working on "Turkish March: Ruins of Athens" and a few hyms. My friends Keila and Breanna are going to help me to convince my teachers to play some of the music from our camp in our concert. I am required to practice 150 minutes a week. My teacher wants me to move up next year, no matter what.

My little sister Pinecone 4, is playing in the Beginning Recorder this year. She practices all the time and wants to play the violin next year (which would be exciting for me and her because I would have someone to play with and she could get free lessons off me).

Compared to last year, I have way more friends at band. This year I know most of the Chamber class, the entire Intermediate class, half the Advanced Guitar class, most of the Elite band, Marching Band, and Color Guard, and a few of the Advanced and Beginner Band people. This year should be excitingly filled with people I know. Last year, the only people I knew were in my class and my two good friends.